Monday, May 3, 2010

Why are you crying?

My dad has been a landscaper my whole life. He used to work for a company called 'TruGreen' in Las Vegas. Their biggest customer was Summerlin (a section of las vegas where all the rich people live). Every housing community has a huge fancy park and their grass is always greener. Some have lakes or baseball fields, all of them have play grounds.. and all of them have walking trails. Each trail was anywhere between 1 and 3 miles, and when my dad was really mad we'd go up there and walk. We had a special stomp we'd do when we walked through tunnels because it sounded pretty cool. We'd talk, he'd vent, and I'd listen.
One day my mom was home packing up her stuff getting ready to go and my dad decided we were going to go to summerlin to walk. He needed to blow off some steam and also make sure his guys were doing their jobs. He would always make note of trash or a spot of dead grass.
On this particular day I had forgotten something in the house- so my dad waited in the car while I ran in to grab it.
I walked in and there was my mom. She was sitting on the couch and she just looked so helpless. Stuff was all around her as she was sorting it out and packing it, and she was sobbing. She told me she didn't want this, and that she was sorry. I didn't understand. He said she was leaving. If she was leaving, why was she so sad about it? She just cried, and cried, and cried. I didn't know what to do, so I grabbed what I was looking for and I left.

It was the first time I had ever seen my mother cry, except for the other night when we cried together. But she wasn't crying like this.

0 comments: